A new school year starts, and the older four members of the Light Music Club are now in their senior year. With Azusa the only underclassman in the club, might this be the time to finally get serious about recruiting new members?
- Opening credits song is “GO!GO!MANIAC” and end credits song is “Listen!!”. Unlike the first season where the performers were credited as “Sakurakou K-ON Bu”, they are now credited as “Ho-kago Tea Time”.
- As with the first season, some of the character shots in the opening sequence are based directly on panels from the manga.
- The song Yui plays at the beginning of the episode is “Watashi no Koi wa Hotchkiss”, a HTT song from the first season. The original version is found on the first season’s insert song album. This “Yui humming” version exists on a CD single that was given away as the prize in a mail-in contest.
- In the opening sequence, the “icon” for Mio’s bass instead of depicting a left-handed bass originally showed a rotated right-handed bass for the first six episodes. This was corrected for the home video release.
- The audio cassette seen during the episode title and eye catches is now white, replacing the pink one seen in the first season (but worry not, lovers of pink colored audio cassettes – the pink cassette will appear again).
- From this episode on, Yui, Mio, Ritsu, Mugi and Nodoka are all in class 3-4, with Sawako being their homeroom teacher. Azusa, Ui and Jun are now in class 2-1.
- Individual character designs and names were done for every student in class 3-4.
- The school anthem as heard in this episode is included on the second season 2 OST CD. A “rock version” is found as a B-side on the “Pure Pure Heart” single.
- When handing out fliers, the club members wear the same animal costumes as in “Freshmen Reception!”, but with the addition of Azusa as a pig.
- Written on the white board: “Welcome!!”
- The songs on HTT’s set list for the freshmen reception ceremony in this episode are “Watashi no Koi wa Hotchkiss”, “Fudepen ~Ballpen~”, “Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai” and “Fuwa Fuwa Time”. While three out of those four songs were played in the first season, “Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai” is new. The song is never heard in the actual anime, but is included on the “Ho-kago Tea Time Second” album which was released following the end of the second season.
This episode is based on the third manga volume’s fifth regular chapter. Some things were added, such as the first scene with Yui playing guitar by herself, and the scene where they hand out fliers, but it is largely a straight adaption. Worries over Azusa’s future as the only club member left when the others graduate are emphasized more in the anime.
OST tracks used:
- Have some tea? – 3:37-4:49
- Cotton candy – 5:33-6:17
- Asahi wo Abite – 7:09-9:12
- Nihiki no Koneko – 11:38-12:29
- Tenpura Kun – 12:31-12:35
- Patrol of stroll – 13:29-14:14
- Pinch Daisuki! – 14:22-15:58
- Small flashing – 16:46-17:34
- My dearest Baumkuchen – 19:21-20:12
- Ano hi no Kaerimichi – 20:23-22:00
A great start to season 2. I like the slightly tweaked art style and the little step up in animation quality. The episode takes some time to slow down and give us some nice moments such as the singing of the school anthem, establishing the more relaxed pace of the second season. I also enjoy the opening title sequence and song more than that of the first season. The shot where the “camera” revolves around the girls in the club room as they play their instruments is my favorite, but I love the smooth animation of the entire sequence overall.