- This episode is sometimes referred to as an OVA, because it didn’t air along with the rest of the series during its original broadcast and was first seen on the DVD/Blu-Ray release. It is however a normal episode for all intents and purposes, and aired as part of the series in some markets.
- Only season 1 episode not to have a preview after the end credits (for obvious reasons) on the home video release.
- Only time in the TV anime that the second verse of “Fuwa Fuwa Time” is heard.
Most of the episode is original, but the final few scenes of celebrating the new year comes from volume 2, chapter 13.
OST tracks used:
- Morning dew – 0:01-1:29
- Doki Doki Friday night – 3:07-3:54
- Have some tea – 4:13-5:50
- Small flashing – 6:44-8:14
- Ringo... Ringo... Ringoame – 10:00-10:33
- Kendama-kun – 10:42-10:46
- Ukkari Kimi no Tame ni – 11:39-13:17
- Reason that doesn't develop – 13:34-14:00
- Emerald green – 14:16-15:06
- Genki! – 16:01-17:11
- Happy End – 18:34-19:29
- Ii Yume Mite ne – 19:59-20:24
- unknown track* – 20:28-20:53
- Tea at the night of Christmas – 21:17-22:09
* the music that plays when the new year starts is listed simply as “unknown track” because it is not included on any K-On! OST album.
A thoroughly enjoyable episode from start to finish, with the girls performing outside of school – an exciting first for the series. While episode 12 was the official season finale, and a great one at that, ending the first season with the five HTT girls starting a new year together feels fitting, knowing there’s more to come. As an ending to the overall series it would not have been particularly satisfying, but by the time this episode came out – first released as part of the final Blu-Ray/DVD volume – a second season had already been announced a few weeks prior during the Let’s Go! live event. As a temporary stop point, it works very well.